Saturday, June 7, 2008

4th Year Hike!

Last night around 5:30 I went on the 4th year hike with all the rest of the 4th years. I didn't go last year so they decided to have me make up for it.
We met at Sister Gilberg's house around 5:30. There were only 6 girls with us so it wasn't too bad. Brother Gilberg and their son came with us. We went up the canyon by the golf course. I guess it was called Pugh's Canyon. It was sweet! We were on a dirt road pretty much th e whole time. The mountains were so pretty! The hike was pretty easy. The only hard part was when we left the road we had to go on a trail that was pretty steep.

























If you looked off the cliff you could see Kanab.

We found a really great spot for camping. It had a bunch of rock and some pretty great pot holes where water had been. There was probably a waterfall there at one time too...The first thing we did was build a fire. A couple girls tried out the flint and steel thing that Scott had. It took at least 20 minutes to finally get the fire going....
























Later that night we had scripture study. Most of the girls wanted to hear the story about the skinwalkers. It was really dark outside so me and Cassi weren't really feeling up to being really scared. We ended up being terrified.
So Scott left because he said he needed to call his wife. So he left off all by himself. We were all ready for bed and were just talking. I was already scared about getting attacked by some wild animal. Cassi was just scared. Out of nowhere we heard the sound of a dying rabbit. We got really scared because we thought there was like a mountain lion or something really close. It just kept getting closer and closer so the leaders told us to all come together. Me, Cassi, and Lexi were down a little ways so we ran as fast as we could up to the other girls. WE were all bunched up like a can of sardines. A couple of us were already in tears. They pointed the flashlight over to a rock and said they saw something moving. By this point I was literally bawling. haha I just don't like being scared. Well the sound ended up behind us. So Cassi turned around and pointed her flashlight at whatever was behind us. Just out of nowhere this figure jumped out at us. It was only Scott with this really scary mask on and had a black coat on. I hated him so bad! I couldn't sleep after that.


It was really nice just laying under the stars. I did eventually fall asleep. I wasn't too comfortable because I was kinda sleeping on rocks. We hiked back the 2 miles this morning and I was back home by 10:00 a.m.


Here's a couple pictures of our camp:


We weren't sleeping too far from the edge of a cliff...

3 comments:

Jay and Jill said...

Sounds like you had a great time. It probably wasn't very funny what Scott did to ou girls. What and adventure. Now you can say you've been camping without tents. I can't say that. Well done!

Valerie said...

I love the pictures you take! What a beautiful place you camped - I miss the red rocks! - Val

Kaylie Jean said...

Gosh that is really pretty! I never did get to go on my fourth year hike...It looks like you had a blast and the whole scaring thing would have scared the crap out of me too!!