This post is overdue but I think all of September is basically remembering 9/11 and what happened on that day that has changed lives forever. It's crazy to me to think that it was 10 years ago. It feels like it just happened yesterday. It's also just so weird for me to think that my future kids and their kids will be reading about it in their history books and that I was actually alive and watched it all on tv.
The past couple weeks there have been specials on tv covering details and things that I didn't really realize or know about until I watched these shows. I didn't realize how many people sacrificed their lives to help others get to safety. I didn't realize how many people lost family members, friends, neighbors, co-workers, etc. in all of this. In one of the shows I watched they talked about a couple guys that were in one of the towers and one of them his wife was visiting him at work when the plane hit. They were on the 88th floor. He took charge while his wife helped calm people down. He, along with another guy, helped these people down the stairwell. These two men stayed until the very end helping people and trying to keep them alive, not caring about their lives. There were so many people that they helped get out of the towers. Of course the tower collapsed and they never made it out.
I also watched the Music and the Spoken Word 9/11 Tibute on Sunday and can I say how amazing it was?! I love the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. They sang Homeward Bound and that is seriously my favorite song and yeah. They also talked about LDS people that had family members that were on the plane or in the towers. Their stories were amazing. They didn't seem as sad as those others that have lost family because they know that they will see their family memebers again and they just had the truth and knowledge that would get them through this hard time.
I can remember to this day where I was and what I was doing during this awful event. I was upstairs getting ready and my mom had the tv on in the computer room next door and she came in to get me and we all were in the computer room watching what was happening on screen. I saw two towers hit and I didn't really understand what was happening. I thought it was an accident until it was explained to me that a few guys planned it and they succeeded in their plan. I remember going to school and we didn't do much else that day. We just watched the same scenes over and over. Just waiting for an update of any sort. The school was loud with the talking about this event. It was all we could talk about. I was only 10 and in the 4th grade. We didn't know what was going on really. I remember that afternoon I had friends over after school and we laid out on my front lawn looking up into the sky. I was looking for planes, but I never saw any. I was so afraid that Kanab would get bombed or something. I remember feeling really bad for the kids my age that lost parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, etc. in that tragic attack. I didn't want to be away from my family that day. I had a hard time going to school.
This whole thing has really made me realize how much I take my family for granted and everything around me. I'm so blessed to live in this country that is free and that people are fighting to keep it free. I'm blessed to have such an amazing family and friends that care for me. I'm especially blessed to have the gospel in my life and to know what I know. I am so grateful for the gospel. I'm glad I have such a loving Heavenly Father that is there to comfort me when bad things happen and get me through any trial. I know He was there with me that day and helping me understand that everything would be okay. On that note, a couple weeks after that happened, I was upstairs and my mom had this recording playing in the kitchen and I listened to it. Yesterday Kim e-mailed me the poem from that recording, and today my mom played it again. So this is it.
Final Presentation Finally
12 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment