The fun journey started last thursday in the morning sometime on the road heading out of town. Hooked to the back of the car was a big tent trailer, a dog, and other supplies we needed. Behind the other car following behind us was a trailer with four 4-wheelers on it. We were heading towards a mountain of no bathrooms, sleeping in tents, and feeling ever so dirty. What more could you ask for?
With the 4-wheelers unloaded and the tents all set up we all sat around in our camp chairs. Some of us deciding to read a book, others deciding to be obnoxious.

Fun and games were played around the campfire at night. The game Mafia was the main game. I didn't get to be Mafia once but I was Detective "James Bond" a few times.
A cowboy stopped at the camp to get water for his cows. There was fear (mostly by me) that he was dropping off his cows there. Instead he left his two horses in the corral. He must have been pretty trusting or just testing us because everyone wanted to ride them. Instead we had to deal with it and just settle for petting them.



The next day we awoke to really loud gunshots. My dad decided that was the best way to get all of us up. They loaded up food and other things up into the 4-wheelers and we headed out. We saw a lot of really cool things. It was pretty overcast so it wasn't too hot. At first we went in a bunch of circles trying out every trail, but never found the right one. After our leader (my dad) finally gave up we headed onto a trail that we all had been on before. We ate lunch in a really pretty area. They found a log inbetween trees that looked like a teeter-totter. So they all got the great idea to try it out. Silly family! We saw a bunch of fun things in that area.

With the 4-wheelers unloaded and the tents all set up we all sat around in our camp chairs. Some of us deciding to read a book, others deciding to be obnoxious.


Fun and games were played around the campfire at night. The game Mafia was the main game. I didn't get to be Mafia once but I was Detective "James Bond" a few times.
A cowboy stopped at the camp to get water for his cows. There was fear (mostly by me) that he was dropping off his cows there. Instead he left his two horses in the corral. He must have been pretty trusting or just testing us because everyone wanted to ride them. Instead we had to deal with it and just settle for petting them.



The next day we awoke to really loud gunshots. My dad decided that was the best way to get all of us up. They loaded up food and other things up into the 4-wheelers and we headed out. We saw a lot of really cool things. It was pretty overcast so it wasn't too hot. At first we went in a bunch of circles trying out every trail, but never found the right one. After our leader (my dad) finally gave up we headed onto a trail that we all had been on before. We ate lunch in a really pretty area. They found a log inbetween trees that looked like a teeter-totter. So they all got the great idea to try it out. Silly family! We saw a bunch of fun things in that area.

Termites.
My little sister Kierra found a horny Toad...
I spit out my gum and it landed in an ant pile so I wanted to see what they would do. Well one of them got stuck...It was pretty funny...
Further on the trail we took a little side trip. We found this meadow with quakies on the edge. We looked a little further in and found a really huge one! I haven't ever seen a quakie so big!
When we all got tired we headed back to camp. Mason wasn't being very nice to anyone and just kept being a huge pain. My little sisters decided to trick him kinda into being a puppy. So they put him in the dog's cage and tied ropes around it. It kept Mason pretty entertained and out of everyone's hair for about an hour. It was really funny!
Cocoa guarding the tents...
The next day started out with the same gun shots. We headed over to Escalante to watch their parade for their 24th of July celebration. Their parade was a lot different than Kanab's. It was really short and their floats didn't make sense to me. There was a guy that came down the road on a recliner that had a motor attached to the back and a handle that he used to steer it. It was so weird but cool at the same time!
After we ate lunch at Subway we went for a ride. It went in a loop over the mountain around Hell's Backbone and back through Escalante. The drive was so pretty! I took so many pictures!
We stopped at a little campground on the way. The little place was soooooo pretty! When we parked there was a ladder going over to a spring. I loved it!
This next picture you can use your imagination on what you think they are....
So this campground had the bear warning. We thought they were bear scratches but i talked to my Grandpa and he said it was just people playing a prank pretty much with them using an axe and making these marks.
The bridge from a higher spot..You can see the drop offs on both sides.
History Lesson
The pioneers had to go over Boulder Mountain to settle Escalante and the surrounding areas. The road we were on the pioneers had actually had to use back then. They had to build a bridge out of trees and other things they could find to make it across this canyon that was really deep and scary.
You can see the wooden bridge they made to get across.
I think we just take for granted the supplies and technology we have now. The pioneers had to go through so much and hard work to have what they had. I know I take for granted everything I have. The pioneers were just so amazing and I know I wouldn't have been as patient or been able to live how they did. I am so grateful for them!
The last day was probably the most hectic, with puttinh everything away and loading up everything. Before we left we looked up to the clouds and noticed how pretty they are. It was a great site to end our family adventure!






























1 comment:
I love both posts!! Haha that trip was soo fun :] It had such a blast and i love the pictures!! That place you camped was soo pretty!! I need to go up there sometime! Looks like fun :]
Post a Comment