Christmas is definitely my favorite time of the year! I love the weather, the atmosphere, and all the decorations. I love finding the perfect gift for family I love being outside in the cold and coming inside to drink some hot chocolate to get warm. I love wearing coats, mittens, and bundling up. I love when there is snow on the ground (just not on the roads). I love riding around in the car and looking at christmas lights. I love the music.
This Christmas has been the first one that I haven't been home for the whole holiday season. I've been down here in St. George and I have to say just by being down here and not back in Kanab, that this is the first Christmas I am focusing more on the meaning of Christmas and not focusing on things that don't really matter.
Last Saturday, KaCee and I walked to Harmons to get some groceries. We always have random conversations and we change the subject a hundred different times. Well we started talking about how we love christmas and that we can't wait to go home. I started thinking about it and the thing that stands out in my mind about Christmas this year is how excited I am to be with my family. In the years past I have focused on being with my friends and presents and since I was with my family everyday, I knew it was just something I had to do, not really what I wanted. KaCee said that as the years go on while you're in college you get more and more excited to spend time with your family. I really can't wait to be with all of them!
The second thing I'm starting to focus on more is something we all need to focus on. The Savior's Birth. Today in institute we had a lesson on Christmas and what it really means. Brother King gave us a thought before we got started and he told us how he used to be in choirs and shared his testimony about how music can help you feel the spirit. My favorite thing he said was that even if you aren't a great singer, you should at least sing with your heart. We also got a paper that had a bunch of questions on them that we went through and answered. We learned the story of the Savior's birth and all the symbolism that goes with it. Here are just a few that I can remember.
Bethlehem- Heavenly Father chose Bethlehem because it means "city of Kings" and "Bread of Life". The Savior is the "King of Kings" and he was also known as the "Bread of Life".
The Inn- Mary and Joseph couldn't get a place in the Inn because there was "no room." The people that were staying in the Inn probably had money to stay in there. There probably really was room in the Inn but the Innkeeper may have taken one look at the couple and knew they had no money and did not want them staying in the Inn.
The stable- The Savior was born in a stable where it was really smelly, dirty, and not a place for a women to have a baby. The stable may respresent that the wordly things aren't important and we need to focus on what we do have. I can only imagine how Joseph felt when he found that stable. I'm sure he didn't want his wife to have a baby in such a place, but he knew it was what he had to do.
Swaddling Clothes- When the Savior was born he was wrapped in swaddling clothes. Swaddling was also what they used to wrap their dead in before burial. With the Savior being wrapped in this, it symbolizes what He was sent down to the earth to do. Die for all of us.
The Manger- The Savior was put in a manger when He was born. A manger is where the sheep and cattle would eat. One of the guys in my class said something that I had never really thought about before. Cattle and sheep had to bow down to eat the hay That could be a symbol of all of us that will bow down to Him one day when he comes down to earth again.
I'm so glad that we are able to celebrate such an amazing thing that has changed the lives of many. I'm so grateful that I have a Savior and that He was born on this earth to later die for me. I can't wait to see Him someday and get to meet Him. It will be such an amazing day!
Well in my apartment we have done some decorating and have tried to celebrate the best we can. We have some lights up and we decorated out decorative tree and have a few decorations. I think we've had music playing everyday to keep us in the spirit of Christmas. I would put up some pictures but my camera is dead so I apologize. Anyways I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!
Final Presentation Finally
12 years ago
1 comment:
My excitement for Christmas shifted this year to Christ rather than all the fun and presents. I have to say it's been quite a humbling and lovely experience this way. I imagine it's exactly what my parents have striven to teach me all those years ;)
Post a Comment