Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Memorial Day

Yesterday I was in St. George with my family. We went over to the cemetary to visit some graves of my family members. Is it weird that I took pictures and enjoyed being there? I had fun learning about some people that I'm related to and getting to see where they are buried.

Photobucket

This is my Great Grandma & Great Grandpa Blake's grave. I never got to know my Great Grandpa because he died about 4 years before I was born. I was  about 13 or so when my Great Grandma died. I have a few memories of her. Growing up we would go over to her house to visit every once in awhile and she would be at every party we had or little get together. During the last years of her life she lived with my grandparents. I would go over there and she would always ask me to sit by her. So I would and she would always talk about anything she wanted to. I guess you could say we were kinda close.

Photobucket

This is my Great Grandma and Great Grandpa McArthur's grave. I was 4 when my Grandma died so I didn't really get to know her that well. But I've seen pictures and have heard stories about her and I like to think I'm like her in some ways. I remember when I was younger I would (and still do) dip my french fries in my chocolate frosty and my grandma would tell me that that's what my grandma used to do. I heard that she also liked to sing and would sing songs a lot.

I have soooo many memories of my Great Grandpa McArthur. He would always take us out on a hike when we went to visit him. He was always on the go and was always outdoors. At every family get together we would all gather around and he would quote a bunch of poetry and tell us stories of his life or of just about anything. He always said "Aw yes. This is thee life!" One night at a get together he had us try one of his favorite foods which was bread in milk with strawberries on top. I can honestly say that I wasn't a very big fan of it at all.  My favorite memory is a few years ago, we took a trip with him for the last time. We went to Zion and hiked Fatman's Misery which is like a 12 mile long hike. He was in the lead like the whole time and when you needed to use a rope to get down something, he wouldn't use it. He also dropped some film in the water and went under to get it and the water was almost to his shoulders.  He also found a rattlesnake and picked it up. He was like 79 at the time. He was one crazy guy! I think I'm like him in some ways because he took so many pictures in his day, and I'm kinda like that too. He also likes poetry and wrote poems, and I like to do that too. I miss him a lot.

Photobucket

This is my Aunt Julie's grave. She died a few years ago. I wasn't able to go to her funeral which made me really sad. I pretty much grew up at her house. She lived around the corner from me and I was always at her house playing with my cousins. I remember her as the Aunt that loved pigs. She had a big cupboard full of stuffed animal pigs and just about anything else you could find. She loved everyone and even if she barely knew you she loved you. I miss seeing her at family reunions or anywhere.

Photobucket

These are my Great, Great, Great Granparents. I think it's really cool how much he did. He was obviously really into the church and had so many callings.

Photobucket

These are my Great, Great grandparents.

I can't wait to be able to meet my family that I don't know and hear there stories of how it was when they grew up and see how I'm like them. I love hearing about my family history and think it's so cool!

These are just some random pictures I took. The Blake's in the pictures I'm related to but I'm not really sure about the other ones. I just thought the old headstones looked pretty cool.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

No comments: